As you are aware that for the 2020/21 Professional Competence Scheme Year, the Framework for Maintenance of Professional Competence Activity found in the Maintenance of Professional Competence Guidelines for Doctors has been modified.
Old Framework for Maintenance of Professional Competence Activity
Annually doctors are required to record one clinical/practice audit and a total of 50 CPD credits which comprise of:
- A minimum of 20 external CPD credits
- A minimum of 20 internal CPD credits
- A minimum of 5 personal CPD credits and
- A minimum of 2 research/teaching CPD credits (desirable)
Revised Framework for Maintenance of Professional Competence Activity for 2020/21
For the 2020/21 Professional Competence Scheme Year the following applies:
- Doctors are required to record 25 CPD credits of the 50 CPD credit total with their Scheme. These 25 credits can be recorded in any CPD category (external, internal, personal learning, research/teaching). Minimum CPD targets for each category do not apply for 2020/21.
RCSI continue to encourage you to take a broader approach, where it is possible to do so, to ensure you participate in at least 20 hours of external activities (these can be online courses / seminars / conferences / webinars etc) , participate and record your attendance at 20 hours of hospital based events like Grand Rounds, MDTs and quality improvement activities (even if these are by web conference). You should continue to read, particularly the key journals for your specialty, and record your reading under the personal learning category. Auditing the outcome of care process is more important than ever and we recommend that every surgeon and Emergency Medicine NCHD or specialist should continue to conduct and record an audit of some aspect of their practice every year.
We ask that you reflect on your own practice (including the lessons from audit), consult with your peers or consultant colleague, and plan your Professional Development needs early in the PCS year. Please click here for the Professional Development Plan (PDP) template and we encourage you to complete this and upload the completed plan to your PCS portfolio and claim the relevant CPD credits.